Head of Legal
At Morressier we want to enable all the world’s learners to discover, share and advance new ideas, but to do this, we need to continue building our internal team.
Ever since 2014, Morressier has been helping a growing number of professional and academic societies' to harness the power and scalability of the digital world to make scientific research more accessible. We facilitate the connecting of the thinkers and the curious, the inquisitive amongst us, to discover, absorb and collaborate on research. We enable this not just at conferences, but before and after them too with our suite of tools.
After our successful Series A funding round in 2021, we have grown the team fourfold and we do not plan on stopping. We are looking to add to our diverse team of 28 nationalities spread across six continents with people who are driven by our mission and want to make a positive impact in society. We know that our dreams are big, but no one changed the world thinking small. Your efforts working together with us could facilitate the next big aha! moment in scientific research. And in our world, ‘scientific’ means bold. It means exciting. It means innovative.
We are seeking a commercially minded and ambitious Head of Legal. As our first hire in the Legal Team, you will be the anchor we build our legal function around, with key responsibility for guiding the C-Suite through our continued hypergrowth, including future M&A.
You’ll have the autonomy to develop the function so that it supports the business using a mix of internal and external resources, ensuring the leadership team has timely advice & the business has great processes that enable us to scale.
If you are looking to join a mission-focused passionate team, where you can do your best work in a meaningful environment then we would love to speak with you!
Why you may be interested in the role
- Work with the CEO, COO and leadership team as lead legal counsel on all strategic initiatives.
- Oversee and provide guidance on all policy, legal, and compliance matters
- Review, Plan, Implement and Advise on key existing legal processes and programs that support and protect the business
- Act as the first point of contact and central coordination point for all material legal matters, briefing external partners as required
- Anticipate and identify legal issues in order to develop legal strategies and solutions
- Proactively managing the company’s risk exposure and identifying areas to strengthen the company’s commercial position during a phase of high growth
- Proactively build preferred partnerships with external partners by areas of legal expertise or regional knowledge so that the function can quickly react to business growth - new entities, acquisitions, etc.
- Own the overall legal budget
- Build and develop a team, over time
- Play a key part in helping Morressier achieve its mission as a leader in the business
What we can offer you
We pay a good and fair salary based on your skills and experience
We offer a value-driven culture based on drive, collaboration, and lightheartedness
We help you maintain a healthy work-life balance with freedom and flexibility
We give you the autonomy and ownership you need to do satisfying and impactful work
Working with a diverse team of wonderful humans from 28 nations spread across 6 continents
We provide you with a fully-remote environment so you can work from wherever you feel at your best
We equip you with the tools, data, and devices you need to get work done
We invest in your growth, career progression, and professional development by providing transparent feedback, learning opportunities, and resources
What we would like from you
- Likely around 8-10 years of experience having likely trained at a top legal firm and more recently worked in-house with tech start-up experience preferred.
- Membership in good standing, with US, UK or German bar preferred.
- Experience of working globally, with a proven track record in complex commercial negotiations & litigation
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities, strategic thinking, judgment, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Exposure to M&A would be advantageous
- Excellent leadership skills, with the ability to multitask in a fast-paced, start-up environment
If you don't exactly meet these criteria, apply anyway. We're passionate about investing in driven, collaborative, lighthearted people. We hire based on a mix of skills, experience, and potential.